St Francis Catholic School Hughenden is situated on the Flinders Highway 380km west of Townsville.
The school opened in October 1900, with the arrival of six Good Samaritan Sisters. There was an initial
enrolment of 12 children which quickly increased to 175, including some boarders.
The school badge outlines North Queensland in stylised form with the cross and stars portraying an inland
Catholic school. The motto chosen for St Francis School is "Walk in Light".